Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tailed Jay Butterfly

Tailed Jay

The Tailed Jay (Graphium agamemnon) butterfly holds a very special place in my heart. It was one of the first butterflies that I used to see after I developed a fascination for these beautiful but fragile creatures.

It used to be fluttering outside my balcony at Bangalore, trying to lay eggs I guess, on the Polyalthia longifolia or Ashoka tree. This butterfly is a very restless one and seldom sits still long enough for anyone to capture it on camera. I was lucky to get a good clear shot of this beautiful butterfly.

It is a predominantly green and black tropical butterfly that belongs to the swallowtail family, and was commonly seen in South India. I am yet to see this butterfly at Delhi, and have been looking for it…..

No comments:

Post a Comment